Something strange is going on at St Julian’s Church in Janiuay.
We first visited, this church complex in Janiuay during late 2011 or early 2012, it was a thrill at that time and our love affair with it continues. We remember that the Augustinians arrived in Janiuay as early as 1752 when they opened their first small Chapel. But it wasn’t until the mid 1800s, almost 100 years later, that the Augustinian Friar Miquel Carod who was assigned as the Parish Priest between 1830 and 1871.
Friar Carod started construction in 1849 and it went well until November 1871 when he died with the ‘finishing touches’ yet to be made to the church. Friar Nicholas Gallo replaced Friar Carod and finished the church and later built the adjoining ‘convento’ in the same style as the church.
But what happened? When the dreaded “Japons” invaded and occupied the area in early 1942, it was decided by the High Command of the Resistance to destroy the Church & Convent in order to ensure that the “Japons” could not use the Complex as their Prison Camp and Headquarters. And believe it or not that all leads us to our visit this past week.
click the link to enjoy: “The Rest of the Story“.